OEWG: Independence, Autonomy and Rights of Older Persons in the African Context
The International Federation on Ageing (IFA) is co-hosting a side event entitled ‘Independence, Autonomy and Rights of Older Persons in the African Context’ at the upcoming 10th Working Session of the Open-Ended Working Group on Ageing (OEWG) at the United Nations (UN) Headquarters in New York.
The side event will facilitate multi-stakeholder conversations about the rights of older persons to independence and autonomy in Africa and enhance understandings of systematic drivers of older Africans’ vulnerabilities. The event will also highlight the importance of legislative opportunities for empowering older persons and strengthening their rights while galvanizing support for the UN Convention on the Rights of Older Persons.
Side Event Information:
- 17 April 2019, 13:15 – 14:30 EST
- Conference Room 7, UN Headquarters, New York
Moderator: Dr. Jane Barratt, Secretary General, International Federation on Ageing
- E. Mr. Omar Hilale, Permanent Representative of the Kingdom of Morocco to the UN
- E. Mr. Jerry Mathews Matjila, Permanent Representative of the Republic of South Africa to the UN
- E. Mr. Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Nigeria to the UN
- E. Mr. Ali Alifei Moustapha, Permanent Representative of the Republic of Chad to the UN
- E. Mr. Martin Garcia Moritan, Permanent Representative of Argentina to the UN
- Rio Hada, Team Leader, Economic Social and Cultural Rights, UN Office OHCHR
- Amal Abou Rafeh, Chief, Programme on Ageing Unit, Social Inclusion and Participation Branch, UN DESA
- Facilitator, Good Samaritan Services Active Healthy Women’s Group, Tanzania
- Dr. Emem Omokaro, Executive Director, Dave Omokaro Foundation and Co-chair, Stakeholder Group on Ageing (SGA) Africa